John Beck Is Not Celebrating The Social Security Raise


This is, however, what the reporters would have you believe!  At 30 years old John Beck will take on the business of replacing Rex Grossman as quarterback for the Washington Redskins continuing to draw a salary of $1,117,000 a year (it should be mentioned that Rex Grossman’s salary is almost twice as much). 


Google “John Beck is too old” for a big laugh. The age bashing business is not just coming from armchair coaches, but from respected analysts and reporters.

Joe Theismann (probably is enjoying the Social Security Raise) did not become starting quarterback until the age of 29. There are many others in the 27- 30 range. Check out Kurt Warner’s rise to stardom if you don’t know the story; it’s really interesting.

I’m a little older that John Beck. Not by much. It pains me to believe that I would be “too old” to do anything at this point; that I would be barred from doing something solely due to my age rather than the limits of my ability. I hopefully haven’t reached the highest salary I will ever earn and I have all my original parts.

I think everyone should give him a fair shake. He appears to really want it, the Redskins are really getting him on the cheap, they are also 18 million over salary cap, and here is a clip of him throwing for BYU in his college days. (See video)




So how has John Beck done so far?  


The main consensus seems to be that he is doing pretty well. The limited criticism seems to be on issues that appear to be easily improved upon (selling the pass-fake better, getting rid of the ball a little earlier). 


Honestly I can't see how any reasonable fan could be anything less than impressed; He went 22 for 37 completed passes his first time out (279 yards). He also looks as comfortable as you can expect for the situation; there have still got to be quite a few butterflies for him! 




If you look at his history you will see Beck as a consistent worker. Take a look at his background and missionary work and you can't help but like the guy. More importantly, his actions scream dedication and again; consistency. Do I think he will be the "magic bullet" for turning the Redskin's make-shift offense into something great?


No. But I encourage the naysayers to take a closer look; he will stay and grow in the position of quarterback for as long as is afforded him.


Keep in mind that the Washington Redskins have had this "stable quarterback" problem for around 15 years. There is no arguing this whatsoever. 




Thinking along the lines that Mike Shanahan is limited to working with who he has this change may prove to be a very good business decision. Many applaud Shanahan's ability to get the Redskins out of the salary cap situation they were in not long ago. This successful maneuver coupled with the solid players he acquired by trading down to entitle more picks makes it evident that it is still too early to tell if Shanahan made a mistake promoting Beck and benching Rex Grossman. 
Best Blogger Tips
  • Stumble This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Share On Reddit
  • Fave On Technorati
  • Buzz This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Digg This Post
  • Share On Facebook
Blog Gadgets